Friday, December 16, 2011

12/16/2011 02:46:00 PM - , 31 comments

Recipe: Quicky Sausage Kebabs

On our last visit at the supermarket, we bought a few pieces of frankfurters for our kids. Really, they are way too pricey but really tastes good. These are not regular sausages or hot dogs though we see some similarities on them. But I do want to try one as I have tasted their samples before hand.

I thought my eldest son Albert would love them since it still tastes like hot dog and for sure everything that has cheese on it would definitely be a hit for my first born. Unfortunately, he dislikes its taste and would still go for regular hot dogs.

So then, its up to us to consume these expensive sausages. It's a good thing I only bought four pieces for us to eat. I would just fry them and set them aside when I have to make sandwiches during those popcorn hours (Movie time).

To make things more interesting, I decided to make better plans for it other than frying it and saving it for later. I came across an interesting, healthy and quick recipe for these sausages and I kind of added it to my top list of favorite meals.



The sausage kebab is one variation of the popular Persian dish which is usually done with beef or chicken. A somewhat similar to our native pork barbecue. What I liked most on this dish is its play of flavors and colors making it more mouth-watering. I also see it as a healthy alternative for pork barbecue because of the presence of non-pork extenders and spices to the recipe.
Ingredients:
  • 1 kilo franks sliced into one-inch pieces (Italian or Hungarian if you want it spicy)
  • 1 cup pineapple chunks drained (optional)
  • 1/2 cup whole button mushroom
  • 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
  • 1 large white onion quartered or cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
  • Barbecue sticks
  • Own choice of barbecue sauce for basting.

Sausages, peppers, onions and mushroom. Perfect combination
Aw! Missing pineapples on this one.



Our basting sauce courtesy of Kraft
(sent over by my in-laws from the US)

Waiting for them to cook. How fragrant the onions and peppers are!
Cooking instructions:
  • Preheat the griller.
  • Thread frankfurters, pineapples, mushrooms, bell peppers, and onions in barbecue sticks. Brush with barbecue sauce.
  • Grill about 10 minutes or until franks, pineapples and vegetables are tender. Baste occasionally with barbecue sauce.
  • Enjoy!

Make sure to cook everything well, especially the white onions and the peppers. The white onions and the green peppers when nicely done will give off a sweet taste and an aromatic flavor to the set.

The original recipe is taken from the FOOD MAG: Eat and Run Cookbook

31 comments:

haven't really tried this but am sure my mama and bro will love to try one :))

by the way, followed you via networked blogs. hope you could follow mine too.thanks!

It looks delicious! Haven't tried this or those similar to this one, but I guessed it tastes good.

yummy! great idea for gatherings esp the coming Christmas...lotsa party to attend and host...

my youngest son can finish 5 sticks in one sitting :)

kids usually like the red colored hotdog .when we were in Qatar ,my eldest always requesting for " pulang hotdog" or purefoods .Sadly ,it is made of pork so it is not available there .Sometimes we parents have to experiment just for the kids to like it.

Sausage Kebabs!! This makes me hungry, I will make this at home.

i love sausage but haven't tried sausage kebab.

If only we are allowed to grill here in my condo. :(


____
Much love, Christia

7 reasons why I love Christmas from Christia's World

I appreciate this Persian dish, sausage kebab shared by a "wannabe cook" . It's yummy, yummy I believe. I wanna try to be a cook in my own unique way too, but I'm afraid I wanna spoil what I'm cooking for I had an embarrassing experience in cooking. I was studying in college then taking up education. In our HE class, we're required to make our own cake. Mine didn't cook well for I didn't follow the recipe's procedure. Well, I secretly kept my badly made cake and replaced it by the cake I bought from the market for grading purposes. My classmates ridiculed me. From that time on, I never dared to make a cake anymore, as well as cooking any foods at all.

Gil Camporazo's latest blog: BC Bloggers: Don't Beg for Links

sausage kebab! sounds more palatable than the traditional kebabs here in dubai... hmmm, think wi;; give it a try

Nice post! Sooo sumptuous-looking sausage kebab! :)

Followed your Eat pray and blog on networked blogs.

I do have the same fate back at High School. But being at home -stay dad gave me another chance to improve my cooking since my wife is always at work and our housemaid's cooking does not fit to our tastes. I have to learn and make better dishes for the family to enjoy.

Aw! That's bad. Hot dogs and sausages are among my favorites too. I think my son just like it fried without the veggies.

I can only finish two if eaten with rice. But if eaten solo, maybe I can take up the same number.

I liked it better since it's easier to prepare compared to chicken and pork that you have to boil them first to make them tender before putting them on the grill.

When i fist encountered kebab, i hated it ... kai bbq lang pala sya na iba nakalagay but now, i have learned to appreciate it. Will use this recipe soon. Thanks!

sausage kebab looks great for our christmas and new year's dinner. will try this !!! thanks for the recipe and happy holidays! ^_^

These look soooooo good! Something different to try for a regular movie night :) :) :)

Looks yummy! Will try this soon and let you know. Thanks for sharing.

Looks yummy! Grilled food are love, especially on a season like this. Warm food, less grease and lots of flavor.

interesting, i like to try this for the holidays

Visiting thru Filipino Bloggers Worldwide FB Group

I'm curious, for kebabs, do the "vegetables" beside the meat aid to the taste of the meat? They look like normal BBQ but they taste different but I see that the recipe said to use BBQ sauce.

Yes the veggies on the side will affect the overall taste of the kebab. You need to eat them together to full appreciate the taste. The BBQ sauce is actually an optional addition to the recipe.

I think if you could get one of those stove top griller that are sold on malls and supermarkets. It could still make up for this recipe. I also live in a small apartment with just a small space to do the grilling.

One of my favorite dish. http://www.waldosbarbeque.com/

Makes a lot of difference int the taste. http://www.waldosbarbeque.com/

Post a Comment